Welcome to my blog. If you have been directed here by an external link, please scroll past the following index of posts, and you will arrive at your desired link.

Kindly remember that my material is copyright-protected. Permission must be granted for its use.

I encourage you to visit my book's listing on Amazon: Peace on the Journey. I also encourage you to visit my primary blog Judith Mercado.

Friday, October 22, 2010

A Graceful, Wise, and Humble Man

The following is a translation of my remarks at the opening ceremony of the Mercado Library. The original in Spanish follows directly after the picture.


At this dedication and opening of the Biblioteca Mercado, also called the Mercado Library, the memory of a gentle, wise, and humble man, follower of God, is reborn in the memories of those who witness this inauguration. From this day forward, anyone who enters here will benefit from a legacy of respect for the written word, something which was essential in the life of Miguel Mercado. Poet, essayist, reader and preacher, he would have felt here as if he were in his own home.

As his blessed daughter, I am grateful to all those who have facilitated the establishment of this library; Doris Santiago, in particular; pastor Gilberto Novales also; and all those whose names I don't know.

I hope that this library will bring knowledge, spiritual formation and pleasure to all who enter here. I hope that each person will feel the warm welcome of the memory of my father. That memory is a heritage that everyone lucky to have known Brother Miguel has for the rest of his life.



Rev. Miguel A Mercado

En este día de dedicación y apertura de la Biblioteca Mercado, también denominada the Mercado Library, la memoria de un hombre gentil, sabio y humilde, seguidor de Dios, renace en los recuerdos de los que presencian esta inauguración. De hoy en adelante, todo aquel que entre aquí podrá beneficiarse de un legado de respeto por la palabra escrita, algo que fue fundamental en la vida de Miguel Mercado. Poeta, ensayista, lector y predicador, él se hubiese sentido aquí como en su propia casa.

Yo, como su dichosa hija, les agradezco a todos los que hayan facilitado el establecimiento de esta biblioteca; a Doris Santiago, en particular, al pastor Gilberto Novales también y a todos aquellos cuyos nombres desconozco.

Espero que esta biblioteca les aporte conocimiento, formación espiritual y placer a todos los que entren aquí. Anhelo que cada persona sienta la cálida bienvenida de la memoria de mi padre. Esa memoria es una herencia que todo aquel dichoso de haber conocido al Hno. Miguel lleva por toda su vida.


Dedicación y Apertura
Biblioteca Mercado (Mercado Library)
octubre de 2010
Iglesia de Dios Pentecostal, M.I., “Emmanuel”


Description of my father by the church:

"Un gran hombre de Dios, héroe de la fe, exegeta, erudito, poeta, y dedicado a la lectura y al estudio."

"A great man of God, hero of the faith, exegete, scholar, poet, and dedicated to reading and studying."

***

2 comments:

A Cuban In London said...

I'd never read you in Spanish until now. Tu forma de escribir fluye y me acerca a la figura de tu padre. Muchas gracias.

Saludos desde Londres.

Judith Mercado said...

Gracias, Cubano.

About Me ¿Quién soy?

My photo
My writing frequently explores multicultural themes. Born in Puerto Rico, I moved at a young age to the U.S., where my parents became Pentecostal ministers. Early immersion in Latino and religious cultures preceded later experiences as a businesswoman, a White House Fellow, and life aboard a trawler cruising from Martha’s Vineyard to South America. These sometimes incompatible worlds have given me a respectful outlook toward differing points of view. My short stories, poems, and essays reflect my own inclusive, yet sharply defined, journey across cultural and socioeconomic boundaries. I recently published Peace on the Journey, a poetry collection which explores the theme of renewal in the face of adversity. @peaceonjourney

Followers