Welcome to my blog. If you have been directed here by an external link, please scroll past the following index of posts, and you will arrive at your desired link.

Kindly remember that my material is copyright-protected. Permission must be granted for its use.

I encourage you to visit my book's listing on Amazon: Peace on the Journey. I also encourage you to visit my primary blog Judith Mercado.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Preciosa by Rafael Hernández Marín



Yo sé lo que son los encantos
I know the enchantments

de mi Borinquen hermosa.
of my beautiful Borinquen.

Por eso la quiero yo tanto.
That’s why I love her so.

Por siempre la llamaré Preciosa.
I will always call her Precious.



Yo sé de sus hembras trigueñas
I know of her dark-skinned women

sé del olor de sus rosas.
I know of the scent of her roses.

Por eso a mi tierra riqueña
That’s why my Rican land

por siempre la llamaré Preciosa
I will always call Precious.


Isla del Caribe
Island of the Caribbean

Isla del Caribe
Island of the Caribbean

Borinquen
Borinquen



Preciosa te llaman las olas
Precious, you are called by the waves

del mar que te baña.
of the sea that bathes you.

Preciosa por ser un encanto
Precious, for being enchanting

por ser un Edén.
for being an Eden.



Y tienes la noble hidalguía
And you bear the noble standard

de la Madre Espana
of Mother Spain

y el fiero cantío del indio bravío
and the fierce song of the ferocious Indian

lo tienes también.
you also have.



Preciosa, te llaman los bardos
Precious, the bards call you

que cantan tu historia.
who sing your history..

No importa el tirano te trate
It matters not that the tyrant treats you

con negra maldad.
with black wickedness.


Preciosa serás sin bandera,
Precious you will be without a flag,

sin lauros, ni gloria.
without laurels or glory.

Preciosa, Preciosa,
Precious, precious,

te llaman los hijos de la libertad
the sons of liberty call you.



Preciosa, te llevo dentro
Precious, I carry you inside

muy dentro de mi corazón
deep inside my heart.

y mientras más pasa el tiempo
And as more time passes

en ti se vuelca mi amor.
My love turns on you.



Porque ahora es que comprendo,
because now I understand

porque ahora es que comprendo
because now I understand

que aunque pase lo que pase,
that happen what will happen,

yo seré puertorriqueño.
I will be Puerto Rican.



Yo seré puertorriqueño
I will be Puerto Rican

por donde quiera que ande, o,
no matter where I roam, oh,

por que lo llevo en la sangre
because of what I carry in my blood

por herencia de mis padres.
as inheritance from my forebears.



Y con orgullo repito
And with pride I repeat

yo te quiero, Puerto Rico.
I love you, Puerto Rico.

Yo te quiero, Puerto Rico.
I love you, Puerto Rico.



Y por eso es que me nace hoy
And that is why I am inspired today

dedicarle este canto
to dedicate this song

a ese noble jibarito Rafael
to that noble jibarito Rafael

y a mi isla del encanto.
and to my island of enchantment.


Yo te quiero, Puerto Rico.
I love you, Puerto Rico.

Yo te quiero Puerto Rico.
I love you, Puerto Rico.

Translation by Judith Mercado. Please comment if you have suggestions for improved translation.

No comments:

About Me ¿Quién soy?

My photo
My writing frequently explores multicultural themes. Born in Puerto Rico, I moved at a young age to the U.S., where my parents became Pentecostal ministers. Early immersion in Latino and religious cultures preceded later experiences as a businesswoman, a White House Fellow, and life aboard a trawler cruising from Martha’s Vineyard to South America. These sometimes incompatible worlds have given me a respectful outlook toward differing points of view. My short stories, poems, and essays reflect my own inclusive, yet sharply defined, journey across cultural and socioeconomic boundaries. I recently published Peace on the Journey, a poetry collection which explores the theme of renewal in the face of adversity. @peaceonjourney

Followers